Summer is just around the corner: protect yourself with sunglasses
Our eyes, like our skin, need protection from the sun’s ultraviolet (UV) rays.
According to the National Eye Institute, sunglasses protect eyes from UV rays and can lessen the incidence of the following health conditions:
- Cataracts, a clouding of the eyes’ lens which can blur vision. (An estimated 20% of cataracts cases are caused by extended UV exposure).
- Macular degeneration, a disease resulting from damage to the retina which destroys central vision or our ability to focus straight ahead with acute detail. (Macular degeneration is the leading cause of blindness in the United States).
Eye care protection
Sunglasses are the simplest and single-most effective method of eye protection; coupled with polarized lenses which contain reflective surfaces can offer many of the following benefits:
- Elimination of glare
- Neutralization and blocking of most UV rays
- Stylish comfort and quality frames
- Protection of sensitive eye tissue
Quality Sunglass Frames and Lenses
Sunglasses containing polarized lenses can block multiple ultraviolet rays and help shield sensitive eye tissue from the sun. At Performance Eyecare, we offer a wide selection of designer sunglass frames including Maui Jim. Maui Jim developed PolarizedPlus2®, a special lens technology which provides nearly 100% protection from harmful UV rays. Maui Jim sunglasses offer waterproof, anti-reflective lenses with an option of four, color polarizing lenses that block light reflection and glare to produce a crisper, sharper view. Maui Jim sunglasses are available in prescription and non-prescription lenses as well as four, distinct lens material types to provide individuals with maximum flexibility to select lenses for high performance sports or everyday wear.
Quality Eye care Services
At Performance Eyecare, we supplement the benefits of sunglass ownership by providing patients with digital imaging exams to carefully monitor the condition and health of their eyes. Further, our experienced team of eye care professionals work closely with each patient to develop custom lenses in our state-of-the-art, on-site, Specialty Eyeglass Lens Creation office.